Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"If it Rains, Then They Get Wet."


Outside of our cabin, the locals simply slept on the open deck of the ship with their luggage. It was a large ship, and reminded me of an aircraft carrier, for it was long and flat. Most of the people on board had come to Port Au Prince earlier in the week to buy food, water, and other supplies to bring to Jeremie. The ship sails between the two cities twice a week.

When we set sail, the weather looked a bit ominous, so I asked someone what the people do if it rains. The answer was short and to-the-point: "If it rains, then they get wet. It is just part of life for them." And, sure enough, before long, it began to rain. As we stood on the upper most deck (only rich people were allowed up there), we watched them scramble to cover their goods with tarps, and I felt bad for them. Something like that is just not right. So Susan asked if she should get the three tarps that we had brought to give it to someone in need. My response surprised me, for I said, "What good would three tarps do?" My statement reminded me of the disciples' statement when they said, "Here are three fish, and a few loves of bread, but what good are they?" Put simply, I was caught off guard by my lack of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment