Monday, June 14, 2010

Travel Warning

I didn't know all that much about Haiti before we were asked to go on the trip, so I started doing a little research about the country, so that I wasn't completely ignorant upon my arrival. Before long, I learned that on March 15, 2010, the U.S. State Department had ordered the departure of all non-emergency government personnel from Haiti. (Hmmm? I didn't recall seeing that on my travel brochure.) Moreover, the State Department was strongly urging U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Haiti, in part due to the extremely limited access to basic services. The State Department also warned U.S. travelers about recent murders of Americans in Haiti, and advised travelers not to be out after dark. But rather than shrink back because of the travel warnings, I decided to not share my newly found information with anyone, for I knew that it would only lead to people trying to discourage us from going. Plain and simple: war is always dangerous, but our weapons are not carnal, but mighty in God for the pulling down of strongholds.

No comments:

Post a Comment